Longueville to Botany Bay
Date: Sat 16 May
Distance: 104.15
Time: 6hrs
Max Speed: 47.63
Av Speed: 17.35
Maps
Cooks River Cycleway maps link
This route was pretty important to me, for one, it’s the first 100k ride i’ve done and secondly and probably more importantly this time I made it! This was the route that I broke my wrist on 7 weeks ago. I was very careful about getting my feet out of the toe clips that’s for sure.
I’m getting more confident getting to Olympic Park now and it doesn’t really present a problem to me - although that hill after the space station still is far too long. This trip also I managed to get my way out of Olympic Park, which is a huge challenge on its own, and onto the Bay to Bay Route without getting lost continuously and getting my self caught in the middle of a bike race! Once I realised that The signage for some reason changed from Ryde to Botany Bay to Bay to Bay it’s easy.
The river starts out as a smelly canal and fills out until its a full size river. It is heavily polluted in spots. I really thought that we had cleaned up out act, but it’s awful. The amount of rubbish and particularly plastic water bottles is unbelievable. In one section without exaggeration there was a mat of bottles dispersed no greater than 2metres apart. So sad to see what should be pristine ruined. I’ve noticed this in general on the rides I’ve been doing, just in off the road is a sea of litter, McDonalds wrappers, bottles, boxes, and general waste. I need to get off my soapbox and make sure I don’t miss the next Clean Up Australia Day.
No comments:
Post a Comment