Distance:58km
Time: 3:17hrs
Max Speed: 51.68 km
Av Speed: 18 km
For many years I regularly visited Bobbin Head and Apple tree Bay, for picnics or simply for a drive at night time. I used to think that the cyclists there were crazy climbing the hills...and now I’m proud to say “I’m one of those crazy’s”
I decided to start confronting my fears....…HILLS.
I’ve read about a cycleway that goes from end of Viemera Rd in Marsfield under M2 and joins Kissing Point Rd in Turramurra. The kids and I found it yesterday and went for a bush walk down to Browns Waterhole. Tam fighting baddies with his light saber and Kaelie with her guns all decked out in her faerie finery. They really enjoyed it, I expected them to whinge the whole way — you can never tell whats going to be a hit
There’s a short but oh so steep hill up to Pacific Hwy. I took a photo to show just how steep...or was that an excuse just to stop?
From there it was really down hill the whole way to Bobbin Head. The road down bumps you around a fare bit and I tried to make sure my grip on the right hand was loose, so it didn’t jar my hand too much.
I went to Galley foods in the Marina and had a large coffee and croissant to try and thaw out. The wonderful, wonderful man asked if I was cold, disappeared, then reappeared in front of me with a red blanket to wrap around me. So there I was, snug as a bug in my red blanket overlooking the marina, sipping my coffee in the sunshine. Isn’t that nice, made my day. Oh, another thing as I was walking my bike a car behind beeped to let me know that my glove had dropped out of my helmet. When I went to thank them they said they were cyclists too. A lot of people dislike cyclists but a lot certainly like them. It seems to be a friendly community to be apart of.
Had a little cycle around, couldn’t put it off any longer and headed back up the hill. It’s not a long hill but it is 4 kms of constant “hill” all the same. I took it easy as I really didn’t know how I was going to handle it, and it was fine. I only averaged between 11 and 15 kms but I was surprised when I saw the entry gate. So next time I know I can push myself more. I struggled a lot more with the hill back up to Viemera Rd. It’s steeper and I guess I was already a bit fatigued.
I hit 1000 kms on my bike computer on this ride, woo hoo. So don’t know how far i’ve ridden in total but I reckon it would be another few hundred on top of that.
So, another destination reached. I’ll do it again....as long as there’s a red blanket waiting.
No comments:
Post a Comment