Sunday, July 11, 2010

Melk to Tulln

81km

32°C

Google map for todays ride

Graeme got heatstroke after yesterdays ride. He was hoping to be ok for today but decided rather smartly to opt out for the day. I think he was worried about me not doing it without him and worried about me doing it without him if that all makes sense. He definitely made the right choice, there was a patch in the middle of the ride where for around 20 - 25 kms I was in full sun without any shade at all. It would have finished him off.

I was anxious heading out by myself. I’d done the typical female thing and handed over all the map reading to the man and found myself not looking out for signs etc. So I read the map, re-read the map and headed out around 8am to try to miss the heat. The signage here is actually really easy to follow, every turn is marked clearly where to go. We’ll probably get horribly lost tomorrow heading into Vienna.

The first 20 or so kms was just beautiful it was a mix of road and trail. Quite hilly and all in the shade. It’s funny how blasé you get....oh look another castle on the top of the hill, and around the next corner another one...and one beautiful village after another with people having coffee and cake outside a bakery. The last 2/3rds of the trip were fairly plain with nothing of particular interest. There were some nice patches riding through farm land and sunflower fields.

I tried to up the average and was travelling along quite happily between 23 - 26km hr comfortably. My overall average was 21kms.

Once I made it to Tulln I went in search of our Hotel. I checked in and was moving the bike to the hotel bike lock up area and in front of me I saw a guy on a bike stopped on the phone. It was Graeme trying to call me to see where the hotel was. He just arrived in Tulln after a ferry and train ride....pretty good timing hey.

Can’t believe tomorrow is our last day riding ....bottom’s looking forward to handing back the bike but the rest of me’s not.

We’ve once again found ourselves right next to loud loud music. Last night there was a festival In Melk and a band was right under our window and that finished at around midnight and then at four the young uns where singing away quite happily. Tonight they’ve set up stands along the Danube and are playing. There’s no air con so It’s a catch 22, either open the window and put the pillow over our head or leave it shut and boil at night...am I sounding old.....I’m just tired...ok maybe I’m getting old too.

_MG_4272-2010-07-11-22-50.jpg\

Castles

_MG_4278-2010-07-11-22-50.jpg

Churches

_MG_4281-2010-07-11-22-50.jpg

Vineyards and castle ruins on hill

IMG_4771-2010-07-11-22-50.jpg

Sun flowers

_MG_4286-2010-07-11-22-50.jpg

Our Hotel on the Denube

No comments:

Post a Comment